Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Shinny shin shin - Day 4


Days 1-3:
My shin started hurting the other day, but I didn't know why. I kept on skating because I thought it was just normal muscle pains, but then it got real painful. The first couple nights, I didn't care and kept on doing coleman slides, but I'm pretty sure that was a not-so-smart idea.

Day 4:
Well, it's day four of my shin problem. Still am not sure what is going on, but I've been doing lots of research.

Teh interw3b tells me that shin splints hurt on most of the shin and last only a little while and are helped by small exercises to gain shin muscle. Stress fractures are more centralized in pain and take a long time to heal.

My manager, who is a long-time hardcore athlete tells me that his shin splints in the past were similar to the pains that I have been having - a small spot of pain that kills when you touch it. He explains that what happens is lots of stress over time make the leathery lining under the shin bone start to detach. Stress fractures are when this lining is so far gone that it starts taking fragments off of the bone. GROSS.

I have an appointment with a doctor in Amherst tomorrow. Might be out of skating for 2 or 3 weeks...months?? ahh!

The feeling of gliding on smooth pavement is like nothing else, and I'm missing out.

No comments: